Vegan Jaffa Tart
Servings 1 rectangle tart
- 5 tbs cornflour (or cornstarch if US)
- 5 tbs vegan butter or margarine
- 150 ml orange juice
- 170 g caster sugar more if you like it sweet and not so tangy
- 1 tbs grated orange rind use organic oranges for best results
- vegan orange food colouring optional
CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING
- 150 g vegan dark chocolate
- 150 ml coconut cream
CANDIED ORANGE PEEL GARNISH
- 170 mls water
- 170 g caster sugar plus 2 tablespoons extra
- the peel from two oranges cut into very thin strips use organic oranges for best results
Melt butter in small saucepan on low heat
Take off heat and mix in flour to form a paste
Return to medium heat and add remaining ingredients and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved and curd thickens
Take off heat and pour into your pastry case. Smooth out so it's even and place into the fridge to set
Heat coconut cream until small bubbles start to form around the outside
Remove from heat and add chocolate, make sure the coconut cream completely covers the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Stir chocolate through cream until it's completely smooth. If it's still lumpy, gently heat on a very low heat until completely smooth.
Pour over your set curd and gently tap on the bench to release any air bubbles. Put back into the fridge for 30 minutes to set the ganache.
CANDIED ORANGE GARISH
In a small saucepan heat water and sugar until sugar has completely dissolved
Add orange peel and bring to a gently simmer. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to soften the peel. Keep an eye on the peel as you don't want your sugar to turn into toffee. Remove from heat and strain peel. Coat in a few tablespoons of sugar.
Place peel on the top of your completely set tart as a garnish or serve it on the side.