This is a crowd pleaser as peeps love the shiny pretty thing. It’s a little like jelly. Not sure if you’re into holiday season (I’m kinda meh) however this cake will please non-gender specific Santas and holy moly costumed peeps alike.
Walnut Blueberry Glaze Cake
- 180 g plain flour
- 20 g corn flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g vegan butter cubed at room temp
- 60 g veggie shortening at room temp
- 120 g powdered sugar / icing sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp lemon essence
- 300 ml soy milk at room temp
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- BLUEBERRY WALNUT GLAZE
- 150 g sugar
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 100 g blueberries defrozed or fresh
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 50 g crushed walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/320F, grease and line a 8IN ring cake tin.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer on a low speed beat butter and shortening together until combined, add sieved sugar + vanilla + lemon essence and beat until light and fluffy. Don’t over beat.
- In a large bowl sieve remaining dry ingredients together, mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl mix milk and vinegar together until milk thickens slightly.
- Dividing flour and milk into thirds, slowly add flour then milk to butter in thirds, on low speed until just combined, don't over mix.
- Pour mixture into your tin and distribute evenly, gently tap cake on the bench to release any air bubbles.
- Put into oven for 27- 30 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooled, remove from the tin and arrange walnut around the middle of the cake.
- TO MAKE GLAZE heat sugar, cornstarch and water over medium/high heat whilst stirring until it comes to boil
- Reduce heat and stir in blueberries.
- As it becomes thick and clear.
- Take off heat and let glaze cool.
- Place cake on a cooling race with a tray underneath and gently pour glaze over the top of cake, covering the walnut. Let the glaze set before removing cake from tray.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 17,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!