I’m so happy with how this vegan coconut cake recipe came out. Beautiful buttery moist texture with a sweet coconut flavour. The cake crumb is tight yet fluffy which makes it a great vegan cake for stacking. It keeps for 5 days in an airtight container out of the fridge. If you keep it in the fridge you need to add sugar syrup in between the layers to help keep the moisture in.
I used 3 x 6-inch cake tins for this recipe, however, you can also use two 6-inch cake tins too. Here are a few tips for this recipe:
- For perfectly flat layers use baking strips. Here is a quick video on how to make them. Just remember that if you do use baking strips you may need to bake for an extra 5-7 minutes.
- Bake your cake on the middle oven rack and make sure your oven has preheated to the correct temperature.
- Use sugar syrup between the layers if you’re not eating the cake straight away or storing in the fridge.
- Use unsweetened coconut milk for this recipe.
- To get perfect equal-sized layers, weigh each tin when it’s filled with batter.
- Dust your cake pans with flour after greasing. This will stop them from going really dark on the outside.
- This cake pairs well with my lemon curd recipe as a filling.
I have photographed some of the steps so you can follow along.
Make sure your flaxseed egg has thicked before you add it to your other liquids.
To achieve those perfectly even cake layers I weighed each cake tin with batter to approximately 380 grams.