- 3 cups plain flour (375g, plus extra)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup white sugar (60g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine (112g, cubed and cold)
- 3/4 cup soy milk (205ml, plus more for brushing the tops)
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g vegan chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, together with a whisk
- Add cold cubed butter to flour and use either a pastry cutter or your hands to rub butter into flour until its flaky and crumbly. Try and do this step quickly so the butter doesn’t heat up.
- Mix soy milk and vinegar together to make a vegan butter milk then stir in vanilla extract.
- Add milk to flour in thirds and gently mix together with hands until it becomes a dough. Don’t over kneed it, only until it just comes together and they should still be dregs of flour around the edges.
- Add chocolate chips and gently combined. Don’t over kneed the dough.
- Flour a clean surface and tip dough out onto the surface.
- Gently push dough into a flat circle around 1 inch thick.
- Using a 6CM cookie cutter, cut out scones and place on a greased baking tray. You can bake them separately for a crispy outside or together to retain more moisture.
- Place scones in fridge for 10 mins to chill. This will help the scones rise.
- Pre heat oven to 200C/392F and bake scones for 15-20 mins until the centres are light and fluffy.
- See my YouTube video for extra tips on how to make perfect scones.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Cuisine: Snack
Keywords: scone, vegan, vegan baking, video