- 210 g plain all-purpose flour (1 ⅓ cup + 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 25 g fine desiccated coconut (¼ cup)
- 115 g caster sugar (½ cup)
- 300 ml plain soy milk (1 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 65 ml vegetable oil (¼ cup + 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon essence or flavouring
- 1 cup raspberries (frozen and thawed or fresh)
- 3 tablespoon melted apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C/360F and grease or line with muffin cases 2 x 6 hole muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add sugar and coconut and mix together well.
- In a large jug or bowl pour soy milk and vinegar in together and mix until it becomes thick. Add oil, vanilla, lemon flavour and mix together well.
- Make a well in your flour and in thirds, gently pour in your milk mixture. Gentle fold liquids into the flour with a whisk until just combined. Sprinkle half of your raspberries into the mix and gently fold in. Don't over mix. Don't worry if it's a little lumpy.
- Pour batter into muffin holes, filling 3/4 full. Add remaining berries to the top of your muffins.
- Bake in the oven on the top rack for 16-18 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost clean when poked into the middle of a muffin. The tops should bounce back when touched. If your muffins are really large, they may need 2 extra minutes to bake.
- Leave muffins in their pans for 10 minutes before removing them. Then move to a cooling rack so the bottoms don't become soggy.
- Brush tops with your melted jam to add shine.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze straight after they have cooled.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Berries
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: vegan muffin