This is my go to vegan vanilla cake recipe. It takes 20 mins to whip up and get into the oven. Everyone loves this recipe. It stays moist and fluffy for 4-5 days covered in the fridge. It’s a winner when you want to make a cake ahead of time…. and it tastes epic.
Watch the latest episode of my baking show BAKE VEGAN STUFF With SARA KIDD for all my tips and tricks on how to make this cake amazing just like you!
Classic Vegan Vanilla Cake
- 240 g vegan butter at room temp
- 240 g powdered sugar / icing sugar
- 360 g plain all purpose flour
- 50 g corn flour or corn starch if you're in the US
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 600 ml soy milk at room temp
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste double it if you’re using extract or essence
- ½ tsp lemon essence
- Pre-heat oven to 165C/329F and grease and line an 8 Inch cake tin with baking paper
- Using an electric hand mixer, on a low speed beat butter and sieved sugar until light and fluffy for about 1 min. Don’t over beat.
- In a large bowl sieve remaining dry ingredients together, mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl mix milk and vinegar together until milk thickens slightly, then add vanilla and lemon essence.
- Dividing flour and milk into thirds, slowly add flour then milk to butter in thirds, beat on low speed until just combined, don't over mix.
- Pour mixture into your tin and spread evenly.
- Bake into oven for 55 - 65 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 15 mins to cool, then removed and place on a wire rack.
- Top with your favourite jam and buttercream. See link below for my favourite buttercream recipe.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 17,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!