Quick, easy brownie recipe
- 2 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 6 tbsp boiling water
- 220 g vegan butter or margarine
- 200 g vegan dark chocolate
- 150 g plain all-purpose flour
- 150 g white sugar
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50 g roughly chopped dry roasted hazelnuts
- 60 g hulled tahini paste
- Preheat your oven to 347F/175C. Line a deep 18CM by 27CM baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small mixing bowl mix ground flaxseed and boiling water together to form a paste. Set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in short bursts. You can also do this in a saucepan on your stovetop. Set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- In another mixing bowl, sieve together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt. Give it a good whisk to combine.
- Add flaxseed egg to butter chocolate mix. Stir with a whisk until combined.
- Add nuts, flour mixture, and fold through chocolate with a spatula.
- Pour mixture into your baking tray and spread out evenly in the tray using your spatula.
- Pour tahini over the top in a zig-zag motion. Then using a skewer make downward strokes to marble the tahini into the batter.
- Bake on the top rack of your oven for 20 to 25 minutes. You want the top to be slightly firm and the centre will still be slightly gooey. Once out of the oven allow to sit for 30 minutes so it can become firm. Slice and serve.
VARIATIONS / TIPS
If you put your brownies in the fridge this will allow them to be less crumbly.
You can bake these without nuts or tahini.
If your tahini is too thick to pour, add a tiny amount of oil and stir it through.
I’ve made these brownies 8 times over. If you’re wanting a denser gooey brownie, add 20g of extra butter and remove the baking powder. This brownie will be a little more oily and not as thick. The texture is a little more ‘eggy’ and not so cake-like.
You can use macadamia nuts instead of hazelnuts and smooth peanut butter instead of tahini.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: brownie, chocolate, tahini