We all love a good old pumpkin scone. Veganising this classic recipe was easy to do as scones usually consist of flour, butter and sugar. These vegan pumpkin scones quick to make and I recommend eating them straight out of the oven with some vegan butter and hot tea. Here are my top tips for making great scones
- Don’t use a food processor to make your scones, it will make them really tough and dry. Always use your hands or a pastry cutter to mix the ingredients together.
- Use cold butter. It will help your scones rise.
- Pre-heat your oven to the correct temperature before you put your scones in.
- Pop your vegan scones in the fridge for 10 minutes before you put them into the oven. This also helps with making your scones rise.
- You can make your scones ahead of time and freeze your dough. But allow defrosting naturally. Don’t microwave.
- Vegan buttermilk works wonders in plain scones. You can make your own by mixing 1 cup of soy milk with 1 tbs white vinegar.
- You will know that your scones are ready to come out of the oven when you tap the top and it makes a hollow sound.
This recipe was also featured in Tenderly Mag.
I also have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones herePrint
Vegan Pumpkin Scones
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 scones 1x
- 3 + 1/3 cups plain all purpose flour (plus extra)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan white sugar
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine (cubed and cold)
- 1 + 3/4 cups butternut pumpkin (cooked & pureed)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, spices, together with a whisk
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour and use either a pastry cutter or your hands to rub the butter into the flour until its flaky and crumbly. Try and do this step quickly, so the butter doesn’t heat up.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla to the flour and gently mix together with hands until it becomes a dough. Don’t over knead it, only until it just comes together and they should still be dregs of flour around the edges.
- Flour a clean surface and tip dough out onto the surface.
- Gently push the dough into a flat circle around one inch thick.
- Using a 6CM cookie cutter, cut out scones and place on a greased baking tray. You can bake them separately for a crispy outside or together to retain more moisture.
- Place scones in the fridge for 10 mins to chill. This will help the scones rise.
- Preheat oven to 410F/210C and bake scones for 15–17 mins until the centres are light and fluffy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
Keywords: pumpkin, scone, vegan
Leave a Reply