We all love a good old pumpkin scone. Veganising this classic recipe was easy to do as scones usually consist of flour, butter and sugar. These vegan pumpkin scones quick to make and I recommend eating them straight out of the oven with some vegan butter and hot tea. Here are my top tips for making great scones
- Don’t use a food processor to make your scones, it will make them really tough and dry. Always use your hands or a pastry cutter to mix the ingredients together.
- Use cold butter. It will help your scones rise.
- Pre-heat your oven to the correct temperature before you put your scones in.
- Pop your vegan scones in the fridge for 10 minutes before you put them into the oven. This also helps with making your scones rise.
- You can make your scones ahead of time and freeze your dough. But allow defrosting naturally. Don’t microwave.
- Vegan buttermilk works wonders in plain scones. You can make your own by mixing 1 cup of soy milk with 1 tbs white vinegar.
- You will know that your scones are ready to come out of the oven when you tap the top and it makes a hollow sound.
This recipe was also featured in Tenderly Mag.
I also have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones herePrint