Vegan lemon cake has to be one of the most requested cakes in my Facebook vegan baking group. I put a lot of time into developing this vegan lemon cake recipe. I wanted to create a cake that had a buttery cake crumb that melts in your mouth. This recipe has big notes of lemon rounded off with the gentle sweetness of sugar. It’s a very easy recipe to master and no-one will ever know it’s a dairy-free and egg-free cake. This cake keeps for around 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
I wanted to make this cake crumb very white so I used white chia seed as my egg replacer. The trick with this ingredient is you need to beat it so there are no lumps. You can use ground Flaxseed but your cake will have small flecks of seeds in it.
Once you have mixed all your ingredients, the vegan lemon cake batter will be very thick and light. Don’t overbeat your batter as it will cause your cake to become dense.
This recipe paired great with my vegan lemon curd. It’s a simple recipe that you can whip up in 10 minutes.
EXTRA TIPS FOR THIS VEGAN LEMON CAKE RECIPE
- Preheat your oven to the exact temperature
- If your oven heats unevenly, add a heatproof bowl of water to the bottom of the oven
- Make sure your chia seed egg replacer has no lumps in it otherwise you will have lumpy bits in your cake
- Use a high-quality lemon essence and vanilla bean paste
- Use an organic lemon for the rind because commercial ones have no flavour
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 25,000 keen bakers on Facebook.