Vegan lemon cake has to be one of the most requested cakes in my Facebook vegan baking group. I put a lot of time into developing this vegan lemon cake recipe. I wanted to create a cake that had a buttery cake crumb that melts in your mouth. This recipe has big notes of lemon rounded off with the gentle sweetness of sugar. It’s a very easy recipe to master and no-one will ever know it’s a dairy-free and egg-free cake. This cake keeps for around 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
I wanted to make this cake crumb very white so I used white chia seed as my egg replacer. The trick with this ingredient is you need to beat it so there are no lumps. You can use ground Flaxseed but your cake will have small flecks of seeds in it.
Once you have mixed all your ingredients, the vegan lemon cake batter will be very thick and light. Don’t overbeat your batter as it will cause your cake to become dense.
This recipe paired great with my vegan lemon curd. It’s a simple recipe that you can whip up in 10 minutes.
EXTRA TIPS FOR THIS VEGAN LEMON CAKE RECIPE
- Preheat your oven to the exact temperature
- If your oven heats unevenly, add a heatproof bowl of water to the bottom of the oven
- Make sure your chia seed egg replacer has no lumps in it otherwise you will have lumpy bits in your cake
- Use a high-quality lemon essence and vanilla bean paste
- Use an organic lemon for the rind because commercial ones have no flavour
Vegan Lemon Cake
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp white chia seeds (ground) you can use flaxseed but you will get little flecks in the cake crumb
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- 220 g vegan butter or margarine room temperature
- 200 g caster sugar
- 350 g plain all purpose flour
- 2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 mls soy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 100 mls lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean extract
- 2-3 tsp lemon essense (depending on how strong you want the lemon flavour)
- zest from one whole large organic lemon
- Preheat oven 160°C/320°F and line 2 x 6IN / 15.24CM cake tins with baking paper, grease with oil and dust with flour.
- Mix ground chia seed with boiling water and beat with a hand mixer to remove any lumps, set aside. Don't use a fork to mix because you will get clumps in your cake.
- In a small jug mix soy milk with vinegar to thicken then add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon essence and egg replacer. Beat or blend together until completely smooth. Stir through lemon zest.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar for a few minutes until creamy with no lumps.
- Sieve flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Add haft of the flour mix very slowly and mix on lowest speed to the creamed butter, then add half the liquid. Repeat until all ingredients are just combined. It will be a very thick batter (see image).
- Pause mixer and scrape down sides and mix for a few seconds.
- Divide between tins, tap tins on the bench to release air bubbles, bake 35-37 mins, check with a skewer through the centre, if it comes out clean it's ready.
- Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then flip on a cake rake.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 16,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!