If you’re an orange and dark chocolate lover then this vegan jaffa tart if the one for you! It’s not overly sweet and has that classic orange tang with the smooth silky feel of dark chocolate ganache. It’s an easy vegan tart to bake with a classic combination that looks super fancy and is sure to impress your non-vegan guests. The orange curd filling tastes exactly the same as a non-vegan version no-one will ever know the difference. I hope you love this jaffa tart as much as me.
Vegan Jaffa Tart
- 5 tbs cornflour (or cornstarch if US)
- 5 tbs vegan butter or margarine
- 150 ml orange juice
- 170 g caster sugar more if you like it sweet and not so tangy
- 1 tbs grated orange rind use organic oranges for best results
- vegan orange food colouring optional
CHOCOLATE GANACHE TOPPING
- 150 g vegan dark chocolate
- 150 ml coconut cream
CANDIED ORANGE PEEL GARNISH
- 170 mls water
- 170 g caster sugar plus 2 tablespoons extra
- the peel from two oranges cut into very thin strips use organic oranges for best results
- See my SHORTCRUST PASTRY or PIE CRUST PASTRY recipe (see notes for links). I used a rectangle tart pan sized 36×13×2.5cm. You need to make your pastry before you make any of the other elements.
- Melt butter in small saucepan on low heat
- Take off heat and mix in flour to form a paste
- Return to medium heat and add remaining ingredients and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved and curd thickens
- Take off heat and pour into your pastry case. Smooth out so it's even and place into the fridge to set
- Heat coconut cream until small bubbles start to form around the outside
- Remove from heat and add chocolate, make sure the coconut cream completely covers the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir chocolate through cream until it's completely smooth. If it's still lumpy, gently heat on a very low heat until completely smooth.
- Pour over your set curd and gently tap on the bench to release any air bubbles. Put back into the fridge for 30 minutes to set the ganache.
CANDIED ORANGE GARISH
- In a small saucepan heat water and sugar until sugar has completely dissolved
- Add orange peel and bring to a gently simmer. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to soften the peel. Keep an eye on the peel as you don't want your sugar to turn into toffee. Remove from heat and strain peel. Coat in a few tablespoons of sugar.
- Place peel on the top of your completely set tart as a garnish or serve it on the side.
BAKERS NOTE: Please see my PIE CRUST PASTRY or my SHORT CRUST PASTRY recipe. These are great options for this tart. I used a rectangle tart pan-sized 36×13×2.5cm. You need to make your pastry before you make any of the other elements.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 17,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!