Here is my no fuss gluten free vegan chocolate cake recipe. There are no weird baking ingredients, or special mixtures of 5 different gluten free flours. I baked this using generic gluten free flour from the supermarket. I’ve listed all my gluten free baking tips down below the recipe.
SPECIAL NOTE SO YOUR CAKE DOESN’T FAIL:
1. Make sure the batter isn’t too runny otherwise the cake will sink. It needs to pour out of your bowl slowly without being too sticky.
2. Don’t make this cake any bigger than a 6 inch tin or smaller. Make sure to split it into between 2 tins.
This cake goes really well with my vegan chocolate ganache recipe
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 312 g gluten free flour 2.5 cups and .5 cup if your batter is too runny
- 60 g cocoa powder .5 cup
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 330 g white sugar 1.3 cups
- 100 g veggie shortening melted (can use copha, spectrum, kremelta, sno)
- 500 ml non-dairy milk mixed with 2 tbs vinegar 2 cups
- 1.5 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbs coffee powder dissolved in water optional
- Pre heat your oven to 180C/356F. Grease and line 2 x 6 inch tins with baking paper. Don't use tins larger than 6 inches. You can use smaller tins. The smaller the better.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve together all dry ingredients and mix together well with a whisk.
- In a small jug mix together soy milk and vinegar until it thickens. Add melted shortening, vanilla and coffee (optional) and mix together.
- Slowly pour liquid into dry ingredients in 3 parts. Mix gently with a whisk until combined. Make sure your liquid isn't too runny. It should have some thickness to it - like a runny store brought custard. You can add some extra flour if it's too runny.
- Bake in the oven for 40 mins or until a skewer comes out still a little crumply. You want to under bake your cake slightly to retain moisture.
- Leave your cake to cool on a cooling rack. Don't store this cake in the fridge as it will dry out. For best results eat on the same day otherwise use a simple sugar syrup between layers to help keep the cake moist.
1. Make sure the batter isn't too runny otherwise the cake will sink. It needs to pour out of your bowl slowly without beginning too sticky.
2. Don't make this cake any bigger than a 6 inch tin or smaller. Make sure to split it into between 2 tins.
3. Under bake your cake slightly. You want to retain extra moisture in your cake as GF cakes can be a little dry.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 15,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!