Easy vegan gingerbread cookies that bake in 12 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (golden if you have it)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 150 g vegan butter
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 350 g plain all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Vegan Royal Icing:
- 300 g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
How To Make The Cookie Dough
- Mix together flaxseed and boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to become thick.
- In a small saucepan melt butter. Add your flaxseed egg, then add sugar, golden syrup, and molasses. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add spices and stir with a wooden until combined. Add flour and baking soda and stir until mixture becomes a thick wet dough.
- Pour out onto a large piece of baking paper and bring together with your hands to form a smooth dough. Wrap in baking paper and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes or until cold and firm.
- Preheat your conventional oven to 200°C / 400°F. Unwrap your dough and place another piece of baking paper over the top. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough between the pieces of paper to 5mm thickness. Remove paper from both sides. Using your cookie cutters, cut out your cookie shapes.
- Lightly grease a large cookie tray and place cookies onto your tray. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat the process until you have used all your cookie dough. If your dough is becoming too warm, place back into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake your cookies on the top rack of your oven for 10 to 12 minutes. If you want crunchy cookies bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
How To Decorate Your Cookies
- In a small bowl mix together your icing sugar and lemon juice until it’s a thick smooth paste. Add icing to a piping bag and cut off the tip to create a small hole.
- Pipe onto your cookies and decorate however you like. Allow the icing to set for 20 minutes before serving.
See tips and recipe substitutions above.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Dessert
- Method: 1 bowl mixing
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vegan gingerbread cookie