A beautiful vintage dessert great for any celebration
Coconut Pastry Cream
30 g (¼ cup) icing sugar or confectioners sugar
90 g (⅓ cup) vegan butter or margarine
400 ml (1 ¼ cups) full fat coconut cream
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Pinch of sea salt
¾ teaspoon agar agar powder
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
20 g (4 teaspoons) cornflour
95 ml (6 ½ tablespoons) water
55 g (¼ cup) caster sugar
150 g (approximately 1 cup) frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
1/4 teaspoon agar agar powder
Rosewater Strawberry Jelly
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
1 teaspoon agar agar powder
115 g (½ cup) caster sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons rosewater (depending on how potent your rosewater is)
2 to 3 drops of vegan red food colouring
175 g (1 cup) diced fresh strawberries
Your choice of berries
Toasted coconut flakes
- Line a standard loaf tin with cling wrap and allow it to over lapped the sides of the tin. Try and smooth out any wrinkles.
To Make Coconut Pastry Cream
- In a small saucepan add all ingredients except for agar agar, place onto a medium heat whilst stirring until all the butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour ¼ cup of the liquid into a small jug and add agar agar. Stir until completely combined. Pour back into your saucepan and place back onto a medium heat.
- Continue to stir over heat for two minutes or until it comes to the boil.
- Strain into a bowl to remove any lumps.
- Pour into your lined cake tin and place into the freezer for 20 minutes for until firm to touch.
To Make Strawberry Curd
- Mix the oil and cornflour together in a small saucepan, whisking vigorously to beat out any lumps.
- Add the water, sugar, and stir to incorporate.
- Place the saucepan on the stove over medium heat and add strawberries. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Pour a small amount of liquid into a small jug, add agar agar and stir to dissolve. Add this liquid back into your saucepan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes whilst stirring with a wooden spoon, to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Mash the strawberries roughly with the side of your wooden spoon to help break them down. The mixture will become very thick and jammy. Before proceeding, taste a small amount to make sure you can’t taste raw cornflour. If you can, continue to boil whilst stirring for another minute.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend on a low speed until smooth; be careful, as it will be hot.
- Pour into your lined cake tin over the first layer and place into the freezer for 20 minutes for until firm to touch.
To Make Rosewater Jelly
- Add the water, and agar agar to a small saucepan.
- Whisk to dissolve the agar agar into the water over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover with a lid and continue to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sugar, and stir until it’s fully dissolved. Add the rosewater and food colouring and stir through.
- Place diced strawberries over the top of your second layer and pour jelly slowly over the top. Place into the freezer for 20 minutes for until firm to touch.
- Once your terrine has set firm place your platter plate over the top and flip your cake tin upside down. Release the tin from the dessert and gently remove the cling wrap.
- Decorate with berries and toasted coconut flakes. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Set Dessert
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Vegan dessert terrine