A terrine, is a traditional French cuisine, that is shaped as a loaf that usually consists of forcemeat or aspic, similar to a pâté, that is cooked in a covered pottery mold in a bain-marie. There are also dessert versions of this dish that can look so pretty I couldn’t resist creating a vegan version. It’s a vintage dessert that definitely deserves a comeback.
This layered vegan terrine consists of a layer of fresh strawberries set in rosewater jelly, a layer of strawberry curd and a layer of coconut pastry cream, and decorated with fresh strawberries, raspberries and toasted coconut flakes.
To make this dessert, you are layering each dessert on top of each other and setting it in a regular cake loaf tin. Once set we flip the tin onto a platter plate and decorate with your choice of fresh berries and toasted coconut flakes. It’s a fun dessert for celebrations as it’s bright, beautiful and can be make in advance and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
What are the dessert layers in this recipe?
- The bottom layer is fresh strawberries set in rosewater jelly
- The middle layer is strawberry curd
- The top layer is coconut pastry cream
- Decorating is fresh strawberries and raspberries and toasted coconut flakes
What is the most important ingredient for this recipe?
Agar agar powder is the most important ingredient as it sets each layer and allows us to create that beautiful layered look. As stated by wikipedia, Agar-agar is a natural vegetable gelatin counterpart. It is white and semi-translucent when sold in packages as washed and dried strips or in powdered form. It can be used to make jellies, puddings, and custards. When making jelly, it is boiled in water until the solids dissolve.
What tools do I need for this recipe?
- Small saucepan
- Measuring scales
- Wooden spoon
- Stand loaf tin
- Cling wrap
- Sharp knife
Vegan Jelly Roll Breakdown
|Size:||Stand loaf tin size|
|Serving:||8 casual servings|
|Profile:||Set custard type dessert|
|Storage:||Airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days|
|Bakers Tip:||Check in the fridge until ready to serve|
Tips For Making This Vegan Dessert Terrine Perfect
- When making each layer allow it to set before making the next layer
- Choose the highest quality ingredients for this recipe as it’s a very simple concept and each ingredient is important
- Use what your favourite berries to decorate and add height
- swap coconut milk for a soy cream for a coconut free version
Love dessert? Check out these vegan recipes…Print
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 23,000 keen bakers on Facebook.