Before we even get chatting about baking this glorious vegan coffee crumb cake, there is something you need to know. Traditional coffee crumb cake doesn’t contain coffee. It’s meant for eating with coffee. Mind blown I know! Anywho, I’ve been wanting to make a vegan version of this recipe since I saw the episode on Seinfeld about the Drake’s Coffee Cake. I did some googling and realised that it’s a vanilla flavoured cake with a brown sugar crumb topping. So I got to work and whipped up this really easy vegan cake recipe.
This cake is lightly glazed with a serving of golden syrup and keeps in an airtight container for around 3 to 4 days. And obviously, to be paired with your favourite coffee blend. You can dust with some icing sugar too.
Baking this cake can be broken up into two main steps. Firstly, making the cake crumb and second, making the batter. You will only need two large bowls and a measuring jug.
Making the vegan cake crumb looks like this…
Making the vegan vanilla cake batter looks like this. What makes this cake work is the thick crumb topping. Make sure you overlap the baking paper so it’s easy to take the cake out of the cake tin.
Vegan Coffee Crumb Cake
COFFEE CRUMB TOPPING
- 350 g plain all purpose flour
- 100 g vegan bread crumbs
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 220 g vegan butter or margarine
- 200 g plain all purpose flour
- 30 g cornflour or cornstarch
- 190 g white caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 177 mls soy milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 79 ml water
- 3 tbs veggie oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- golden syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tbsp boiling water
To Make Cake Crumb
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, bread crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- Melt butter and add to mixing bowl. Using a large wooden spoon or a spatula mix together until it becomes a firm crumb. Set aside.
To Make Cake
- Preheat oven to 160C / 320F. Grease, line and dust with flour a 9.5inch/24cm square cake tin. Make sure the baking paper is overlapping the tin so you can easily lift the cake out.
- In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and boiling water to make a paste. Set aside for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, cornflour/cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until combined.
- In a measuring jug mix together soy milk and vinegar until it becomes slightly thicker. Add egg replacer, water, oil and vanilla. Mix together well.
- Make a well in your flour mix and pour in wet ingredients. Gently mix wet into dry with a whisk until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into your cake tin. Sprinkle crumble over the top evenly. If you're having trouble with this rub the crumble between your hands over the batter. Make sure to completely cover the batter. Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Once out of the oven allow to sit for 10 minutes. Using the excess baking paper life the cake out of the tin and allow to cool.
- Gaze with golden syrup and serve with fresh coffee. This cake will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. TIP: Heat the golden syrup in your microwave so it pours easier.