Who doesn’t love a good Vegan Swiss Coconut Roll cake? I worked on this recipe with Nature’s Charm to create an incredible coconut flavoured Swiss roll cake or roulade if you’re being fancy. It’s an absolutely delightful cake with a very light sponge texture, a smooth creamy coconut cream filling and strawberries as decoration. This cake uses two products from the Nature’s Charm range – their Coconut Whipping Cream and their Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk. I can get these at my local supermarket or online. They are a well known international vegan brand, so you shouldn’t have any issues locating their products no matter where you are.
This recipe is very simple. It only uses two mixing bowls for the cake and the cake bakes in 24 minutes. I use an unconventional method for rolling up the cake to prevent cracking. Once we have removed our roll cake from oven, I allow it to cool for approximately 30 minutes or until it’s just cool to touch. Then I spread out the coconut filling and roll up and set in the freezer. This method is fool proof. Your roll cakes will never crack again.
The coconut whipped filling is heaven. Nature’s Charm Whipping Cream is a dream to use and whips into a gorgeous thick cream so quickly. I’ve only added a little bit of icing sugar to sweeten it up and some vanilla bean paste to enhance the flavour.
The cream sets firm enough to hold the cake in place without becoming too hard. I’m a fan of this as it means it keeps well in the fridge and you can cut a slice without having to wait for it to return to room temperature. And the flavour! It’s very moorish, I had to stop eating the filling whilst making it. You know I’m a major fan of this cream as I’ve also used it in my Swedish Prince Cake recipe.
This recipe is very versatile. You can decorate with any types of berries or fruit depending on the season or even leave plain for a simpler version. This cake is great as a celebration cake or for an event like a family holiday lunch. It’s quick, easy and incredibly delicious.
Vegan Coconut Swiss Roll Breakdown
|Method:||Mixing in two bowls|
|Size:||1 Roll Cake (15 ½ inches / 39.37 cm long)|
|Serving:||12 casual servings|
|Pairing:||Any types of fruit / Champagne|
|Profile:||Light airy sponge|
|Storage:||Airtight container in the fridge for 3 days & can freeze for 1 month|
|Bakers Tip:||Check your cake’s baking progress at the 20 minute mark|
Tips For Making This Vegan Coconut Swiss Roll Perfect
- Make sure your oven is heated to the correct temperature before baking, use an Oven Thermometer
- Use a vanilla bean paste for the best flavour
- Don’t over bake this cake, you’re looking for the sides of the cake to become golden brown, that’s when you know it’s ready and top is springy to touch
- Use a jelly roll cake tin for best results, I recommend USA Bakeware range
- Follow my rolling technique to ensure the cake won’t crack
- swap Nature’s Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk with their Oat version
- swap soy milk with coconut milk for a soy free version
- Swap strawberries for any type of fruit
Tips For Decorating This Vegan Coconut Swiss Roll
- Don’t worry about being perfect. This cake is so easy to decorate. You want to divide the cream into half and use half for the filling and the other half goes on top, I spoon the cream on top, no need for a piping bag with this cake.
- Get creative and use some edible or food safe fresh flowers or a mixture of berries on top
- You can cover the whole cake in the coconut whipped cream for a different look
- If your coconut cream is too soft, allow it to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes before using
Love Coconut? Check out these vegan cake recipes…Print
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 23,000 keen bakers on Facebook.