These vegan chocolate cream mini cakes are delicious and absolutely easy to bake. This recipe includes mini chocolate cakes and my simple vegan chocolate pastry cream recipe. You can use this recipe for cupcakes, however they won’t be as dome like as my other vegan cupcakes. You can use blueberries, or any type of berries to decorate and edible flowers to decorate.
The chocolate cake is very rich, similar to a heavier style chocolate mud cake. It’s not as dense as a mud cake but it’s also not fluffy and light like a usual cupcake. The cinnamon and coffee enhance the chocolate flavour of the cake making it a more memorable experience.
The chocolate pastry cream recipe can be used for filling other types of vegan cakes or pastries. These chocolate cream mini cakes are ideal for high tea or when you’re wanting to bake something that more bite sized. Here are a few tips for mastering this recipe.
Tips for this recipe
- Use your favourite high quality vegan coverture chocolate
- Make sure to heat your oven to the correct temperature before baking your cakes, I recommend using an oven thermometer
- Grease your cupcake pans heavily as you’re not using cupcake lines to release them. I like using a silicone cupcake tray for an easier release
- If you don’t have or like soy milk, you can substitute it with oat milk
- All cup measurements are in Australian sizes
Looking for other cake recipes
Vegan Chocolate Cream Mini Cakes
- Total Time: 3 hours 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 190 g melted vegan butter or margarine (¾ cup + 1 teaspoon)
- 230 g caster sugar (1 cup)
- 90 ml fresh brewed espresso or strong coffee (⅓ cup + 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 265 ml plain soy milk (1 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 300 g plain all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 60 g cocoa powder (plus additional for dusting)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Fresh blueberries to decorate
- Gold dust to decorate
- Edible flowers to decorate
Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 185 g coconut cream (¾ cup)
- 170 ml plain soy milk (⅔ cup)
- 170 g vegan dark chocolate (1 heaped cup of chopped chocolate)
- ½ tsp agar agar powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
Mini Chocolate Cakes
- Preheat the oven 170°C/340°F and lightly grease a jumbo cupcake pan and dust very lightly with cocoa powder. Enough for 12 mini cakes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together melted butter and sugar. Add coffee and vanilla and stir thoroughly.
- In another bowl, mix together soy milk and vinegar to create a thick buttermilk substitute. Add to the melted butter mixture and stir until completely incorporated. Set aside.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and slowly pour in the liquid. Gently mix together with a whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into each of your cupcake tins, filling them ¾ of the way to the top. Bake in the oven for around 25-27 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cakes comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes in the cake tins before turning out onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Pastry Cream
- In a small saucepan, heat soy milk over medium heat until small bubbles start to form around the edge. Before it comes to a full boil, remove from the heat.
- Mix agar agar and a small amount of warmed soy milk in another bowl until dissolved. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Place the saucepan back on medium heat. Continuously stir for at least 2 minutes, until the liquid comes back to the brink of a boil.
- Chop your chocolate into small pieces and add to a large mixing bowl that is microwave safe. Pour the hot soy milk mixture over chocolate and allow to sit for 10 mins.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the chocolate and soy milk until it’s completely smooth. If it’s still lumpy, place in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and stir vigorously. Stir in the coconut cream and salt last.
- Cover the bowl with plastic or baking paper, placing it directly onto the surface of the chocolate cream so it doesn’t form a skin.
- Chill in the fridge for at least two hours to set.
- Once set, whip with a whisk or hand blender until completely smooth. Place back into the fridge until ready to use.
How To Assemble Your Mini Cakes
- Level each cake by using a serrated knife to cut off the domes on the top of your cakes. Turn upside-down and make sure your cake sits evenly; the bottom of the cake is now the top.
- Fill a piping bag with a large round nozzle with chocolate cream. Pipe cream onto the top and centre of your cakes to form a large dome.
- Decorate your blueberries with gold dust using a small paint brush and place them on to the top of your chocolate cream. Add some fresh edible flowers to compliment the blueberries and serve.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 27 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cake, chocolate
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 24,000 keen bakers on Facebook.
Leave a Reply