This vegan chocolate cake is rich, fluffy and moist. Perfect for birthdays, carving cakes and it stores well due to its great texture. It’s not heavy or dense like a traditional chocolate mud cake or dry like an overbaked sponge. It’s in between like a butter cake. Here are a few baking tips for this vegan chocolate cake:
- You can bake this as a tall 6-inch like the photos or a flatter 8-inch size. If you bake in an 8 inch you need to reduce your baking time to 35-37 minutes.
- For a great chocolate flavour, I recommend using a high quality dutch cocoa powder.
- You can further enhance the flavour of this cake by adding a teaspoon of espresso powder or chocolate essence.
- Spray or brush sugar syrup or water between the layers if you’re not eating the cake straight away or storing in the fridge. I do this regardless to add moisture to the cake.
- Use canned unsweetened coconut milk for this recipe.
Here are the key steps photographed so you know what to expect.Print