This vegan chocolate cake is rich, fluffy and moist. Perfect for birthdays, carving cakes and it stores well due to its great texture. It’s not heavy or dense like a traditional chocolate mud cake or dry like an overbaked sponge. It’s in between like a butter cake. Here are a few baking tips for this vegan chocolate cake:
- You can bake this as a tall 6-inch like the photos or a flatter 8-inch size. If you bake in an 8 inch you need to reduce your baking time to 35-37 minutes.
- For a great chocolate flavour, I recommend using a high quality dutch cocoa powder.
- You can further enhance the flavour of this cake by adding a teaspoon of espresso powder or chocolate essence.
- Spray or brush sugar syrup or water between the layers if you’re not eating the cake straight away or storing in the fridge. I do this regardless to add moisture to the cake.
- Use canned unsweetened coconut milk for this recipe.
Here are the key steps photographed so you know what to expect.Print
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 2 layer 6 inch cake 1x
No fail moist vegan chocolate cake recipe
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 ½ tbsp boiling water
- 200 g vegan butter or margarine (room temperature)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 300 g plain all purpose flour
- 50 g cornflour or cornstarch
- 100 g dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 400 mls canned coconut milk (not low fat and unsweetened)
- 50 mls boiling water
- Preheat oven 160°C/320°F and line 2 x 6IN / 15.24CM cake tins with baking paper, grease with oil and dust with some of the dry ingredients when it's mixed together.
- Mix ground flaxseed with boiling water and mix together with a fork. Set aside so it can thicken.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until creamy with no lumps.
- Sieve flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk to areate and combined.
- In a small jug mix coconut milk and flax egg replacer and mix well.
- Add one-third of the flour mix very slowly and mix on lowest speed to the creamed butter, then add one-third of the liquid. Repeat until all ingredients are just combined. It will be a thick batter.
- Whilst on the lowest speed, trickle boiling water down the side of the mixing bowl. Mix until just combined. Divide between tins. If you want perfect layers, weigh the cake tins with batter in them. Tap tins on the bench to release air bubbles, bake 47 to 50 mins, check with a skewer through the centre, if it comes out almost clean it's ready.
- Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then flip on a cake rake.
- Level cake layers with a knife and brush or spray sugar syrup or water between layers to add moisture. This will help keep your cake moist for longer. Decorate with vegan whipped cream. I have a recipe for vegan whipped cream coming out next month.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Cake, Chocolate
Keywords: cake, chocolate, vegan, vegan cake