This is a great recipe if you’re out of icing sugar, don’t like buttercream or want an easy vegan cake recipe with very little fuss. The blueberries give the recipe a burst of fruit flavour, the almonds add texture and the lemon syrup adds moisture, sweetness and a little tang. This vegan cake keeps for up to a week in the fridge and won’t dry out. You can swap the blueberries for any type of berry, fresh or frozen.
Here are a few tips to make this vegan cake successfully:
- Use a non-stick ring cake tin so the cake comes out easily
- I find smaller blueberries work best
- You can use any nuts if you don’t have almonds or leave them out altogether
- Any berries will work in this recipe if you don’t like or have blueberries
- If you don’t have lemons or lemon juice you can just use water
- Make sure your oven isn’t too hot otherwise the outside of your cake will become very hard
- If you have hot spots in your oven, rotate your cake at the 25-minute mark so it bakes evenly
This cake goes really well with my vegan custard recipe.
Here are some step by step photos so you know what to expect with this recipe.
Vegan Blueberry Almond Cake with Lemon Syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 ½ tbsp boiling water
- 180 g plain all-purpose flour + extra
- 25 g cornflour or cornstarch
- 160 g white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 160 ml soy milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 70 ml lemon juice (can use water)
- 2 ½ tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp lemon essence
Filling / Topping
- 100 g blueberries fresh or frozen – any berries work
- Flaked almonds can use any nuts you have handy
- 250 ml water
- 112 g white sugar
- Rind from one whole organic lemon
TO MAKE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 160C / 320F. Grease an 8 inch round ring cake tin.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds around the bottom of your cake tin.
- Coat blueberries in flour.
- In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and boiling water to make a paste. Set aside for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, cornflour/cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In a measuring jug mix together soy milk and vinegar until it becomes slightly thicker. Add egg replacer, lemon juice, oil, lemon essence and vanilla. Mix together well.
- Make a well in your flour mix and pour in wet ingredients. Gently mix wet into dry with a whisk until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into your cake tin. Sprinkle blueberries over the top evenly. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Once out of the oven allow to sit for 5 minutes. Flip the cake out of the tin onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- Pour syrup over the top of the cake and serve.
TO MAKE SYRUP
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil whilst stirring gently. Once all sugar has dissolved remove from heat and allow to cool.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 16,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!