This is a great recipe if you’re out of icing sugar, don’t like buttercream or want an easy vegan cake recipe with very little fuss. The blueberries give the recipe a burst of fruit flavour, the almonds add texture and the lemon syrup adds moisture, sweetness and a little tang. This vegan cake keeps for up to a week in the fridge and won’t dry out. You can swap the blueberries for any type of berry, fresh or frozen.
Here are a few tips to make this vegan cake successfully:
- Use a non-stick ring cake tin so the cake comes out easily
- I find smaller blueberries work best
- You can use any nuts if you don’t have almonds or leave them out altogether
- Any berries will work in this recipe if you don’t like or have blueberries
- If you don’t have lemons or lemon juice you can just use water
- Make sure your oven isn’t too hot otherwise the outside of your cake will become very hard
- If you have hot spots in your oven, rotate your cake at the 25-minute mark so it bakes evenly
This cake goes really well with my vegan custard recipe.
Here are some step by step photos so you know what to expect with this recipe.Print
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 22,000 keen bakers on Facebook.