- 2 tbsp ground white chia seed (you can also use flaxseed)
- 6 tbsp boiling water
- 220 g vegan butter or margarine (room temperature)
- 170 g caster sugar
- 300 g plain all-purpose flour
- 50 g cornflour or conrstarch
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 125 mls soy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 large bananas pureed until completely smooth (around 300grams)
- 600 g vegan high quality dark chocolate
- 300 g Nature's Charm pouring coconut cream (can also use normal coconut cream )
- 40 g crushed walnuts
- Preheat oven 150°C/302°F and line 2 x 6IN / 15.24CM cake tins with baking paper, grease with oil and dust with flour.
- Mix ground chia seed with boiling water and beat with a hand mixer to remove any lumps, set aside. Make sure there are no lumps otherwise you will get clumps in your cake.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar for a few minutes until creamy with no lumps.
- In a small jug mix soy milk with vinegar to thicken then add vanilla, banana and egg replacer. Mix together until completely smooth. Use a hand beater if it's lumpy.
- Sieve flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Add one third of the flour mix very slowly and mix on lowest speed to the creamed butter, then add one third of the liquid. Repeat until all ingredients are just combined. It will be a very thick batter (see image).
- Pause mixer and scrape down sides and mix for a few seconds.
- Divide between tins, tap tins on the bench to release air bubbles, bake 45 to 47 mins, check with a skewer through the centre, if it comes out clean it's ready.
- Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then flip on a cake rake. Allow to become completely cold.
- Torte your cakes to make them completely flat. Place the first layer on your cake stand. Cover the top in a thick layer of ganache and sprinkle walnuts on top. Put this layer in fridge and allow it to set before you add another layer. You can repeat this step to create a really thick layer. Add the second layer and coat your cake completely in ganache. The ganache will set if you put your cake in the fridge for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Go to my recipe page for chocolate ganache
- Add walnuts to the middle ganache layer
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 47 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: banana, cake, vegan ganache