Bake an exceptional vegan apple pie using my must have recipe.
- 1 kg peeled, cored and cubed apples (10 medium sized baking apples)
- 125 g vegan butter
- 100 g raw sugar or cane sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons cornflour mixed with 3 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons rosewater
PIE CRUST PASTRY
See my pie crust pastry recipe. If you’re baking a simple apple pie without a lattice design or decorations make 1 batch. If you’re making a lattice and adding other elements make 1½ batches.
VEGAN EGG WASH
See my notes above for different options for vegan egg wash.
PIE CRUST PASTRY
See my pie crust pastry recipe and follow steps up until chilling your dough.
- Add all ingredients except for your cornflour and rosewater to a large fry pan with a lid.
- Place on a medium heat and bring to a gently simmer. Stir with a wooden spoon to make sure all the sugar has dissolved. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a lower heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir through cornflour paste until sauce thickens. Should take around 3 minutes. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir through rosewater. Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to become cold in the fridge.
ASSEMBLING YOUR PIE
- (Following on from my pie crust recipe) Remove dough from fridge and divid into two. Wrap one half and place back into the fridge. Roll out your dough out into a large circle, 3mm thickness, drape over your rolling pin and place into your lightly greased pie dish. Trim the edges and shape if required.
- Pour in your cold apple pie filling.
- Remove second half of dough from the fridge and roll out into a large rectangle 3mm thickness. To make a lattice design, cut the dough into even 8 to 10 strips, depending on how thick you want your lattice strips, using a pizza cutter or a knife.
- Lay half your strips (see image above), on top of the apple pie filling, leaving a space between each strip. It’s up to you how much space you want to leave.
- Fold back every second strip and place one long strip perpendicular to the parallel strips.
- Unfold the folded strips over the perpendicular strip to start to create the weave. Fold back the opposite strips and place another strip across to create a weave on the other strips of pastry. Repeat this process until you’re happy with your weave. Use some scissors or a sharp knife to trim the edges off your pie crust.
- To make your flower border, roll out any left over pie dough and use your wilton flower cutters to create flowers by stamping into the pastry and removing them. Arrange around the border of your pie. Brush with vegan egg wash (see options for this above) and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat your conventional oven to 200°C / 400°F. Bake on the bottom rack of your oven on top of your pizza stone or cookie tray for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown.
See my notes above for options for vegan egg wash
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 60 mintues
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Pie Making
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vegan apple pie