This is a sweet cake! It’s an American style vanilla butter cake (it’s definitely sweet) with a fabulous cookies and cream frosting. You can either use vegan store brought cookies or make your own. Either way it’s a sweet-as winner!
Vanilla Cake with Cookies n Cream
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 2 x 6 inch 1x
- 300 g powdered sugar
- 250 g vegan butter (cubed at room temp)
- 2 tbs vanilla bean paste
- 420 g all-purpose plain flour
- 30 g corn flour or corn starch
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 625 ml soy milk (at room temp and maybe a tiny bit extra on the side)
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 2 tbs veggie oil
- ! FILLING
- 125 g veggie shortening (at room temp)
- 125 g vegan butter (at room temp)
- 250 g vegan cookies (processed with a food processor )
- 750 g powdered sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla bean paste
- 3–4 tbs plant milk
- Pre-heat a conventional over at 150C/300F, grease and line 2 x 6IN tins and wrap with baking strips
- Using a standard mixer with paddle attachment beat the butter on low until soft and gradually add sieved sugar, and vanilla on low-medium speed until creamy
- In another bowl sieve flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and mix well
- In another bowl add vinegar to milk, stir until it thickens, then add oil and stir
- Slowly add a small amount of flour and then milk to buttered sugar and beat on low speed, repeat the process over until you have combined all ingredients
- Divid patter evenly between two 6IN greased cake tins, don’t fill anymore then 3/4 full
- Bake to 150C/300F for 80-90 mins or until skewer comes out clean when poked in the center of cake
- Leave cake to be completely cold before frosting with filling
- HOW TO MAKE THE FILLING In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix butter and shortening on low-medium speed until fluffy, add vanilla and mix
- Sieve icing sugar and gradually add to butter mix mixing on low speed, add parts of milk to help it mix
- Once combined and fluffy slowly add cookie crumbs (add cookies to food processor and pulse until crumbs) to icing and mix until combined
- Fill a pipping bag ready to add to cake as a middle filling and frosting
NOTES ABOUT THIS CAKE *This cake is super moist so you shouldn’t need to sugar syrup layers if that’s your standard practice *This is an excellent cake for towers and carving once cold and it freezes really well without drying out
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Birthday, Cake, Chocolate, Cookies
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, vegan, vegan baking, vegan cake, vegan cake filling, vegan chocolate, vegan cookie, vegan frosting
DID YOU MAKE THIS EPIC COOKIE CAKE AND SMASH IT IN YOUR FACE?
Tag @veganbakesbysarakidd on Instagram and hashtag it #veganbakesbysarakidd
Hi Sara, This cake looks incredible!! Is the cake strong enough to hold fondant? Thank you so much for sharing your recipes xx
Sara Kidd says
Yes I think it should be fine
Hi! This recipe looks great I can’t wait to try it!
I only have one question, in the photo looks like it’s 3 layers…but the recipe calls for 2 pans! What do you suggest for a 3 layer cake? 6 inch! Thank you!
Sara Kidd says
I made the cake 1.5 times.
Sorry, I made a little note on the recipe. Hope you love the recipe. xox
I made the vanilla cake without the frosting to use in a child’s birthday cake and it was delicious, really moist and the children loved it! It kept really well at room temperature for a couple of days (although I’m in the UK so room temperature isn’t that warm at this time of year!) I doubled the amount of cake batter and baked for about 2 hours in 2 x 8″ pans. I will definitely be making this again and will do the cookie frosting next time as that looks delicious!
Sara Kidd says
Thanks so much for sharing Alisar! xo
This cake is heaven! I made it two weeks in a row after the recipe was shared. I was even making a 5 layer cake that ended up with only 4 layers because I ate one …oops!
This is my new vanilla cake recipe!