I love chocolate more then life! These are super simple and divine! Great for birthdays, lunch boxes and maybe breakfast….! Go get baking.
Mud Choc Mini Cakes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 12 mini cakes 1x
- 300 g self raising flour (I use low protein self raising flour it helps make it more fluffy)
- 220 g caster sugar
- 125 g dutch cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500 mls plain soy milk
- 125 g vegetable shortening
- 80 ml water
- 2 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp instant coffee powder ((optional))
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 70 g melted vegan chocolate
- 4 tbsp vegan Sprinkles (I use Fancy Sprinkles)
- Pre-heat oven to 170C (electric oven) / 340F and heavily grease a rectangle muffin tin
- Melt vegetable shortening take off heat then stir in cocoa, let cool
- In a large bowl sieve remaining dry ingredients together, except for coffee and set aside
- In a blender add shortening mix, coffee powder and remaining wet ingredients, blend until completely combined
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry until just combined, don’t over mix
- Spoon mixture into your muffin tray, don't overfill as they will rise, fill about 2/3 full
- Put into oven for 15 – 17 mins or until skewer comes out almost clean with a few crumbs remaining
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over mud cakes and decorate with sprinkles
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Cake, Mini Cake, Muffin
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, vegan, vegan baking, vegan muffin
DID YOU MAKE THESE MUD CAKES CAUSE YOU WANTED TO PROVE TO YOUR PARENTS THAT VEGANISM ISN’T ABOUT EATING GRASS?
Tag @veganbakesbysarakidd on Instagram and hashtag it #veganbakesbysarakidd so we can show other peeps that grass isn’t on the menu.
These are delicious! I used wholemeal self raising flour, it is organic and stoneground, so fairly fine texture. Also used golden syrup instead of molasses as I didnt have any. I could have eaten the uncooked batter with a spoon! I used cupcake cases and the cakes are yummoh!!! Thank you Sara
Sara Kidd says
Thanks so much Maree! Glad you loved them
So I’ve made these three times now. The first time I pretty much stuck to the recipe but used Nuttelex not shorteningand carob molasses cause thats what I had on hand. Third time I omitted the mollases water and cinnamon.( I prefer them without cinnamon). I leftbout the water and molasses accidentally but they we’re still absolutely delicious!
Thanks beautiful lady!