So for all those peeps that have no idea how to make a simple vegan lemon curd, this is the recipe for you. Seriously, who needs eggs?? This is easier to make and it tastes EXACTLY the same… Anyway, you can use this when you’re baking tarts, pies, cupcake and cake fillings or just to eat on toast. Vegan baking is has never been so easy.
Vegan Lemon Curd
- 4 tbs corn flour (or corn starch if US) You can use chickpea flour or arrowroot powder
- 4 tbs vegan butter
- 350 ml lemon juice
- 100 g caster sugar (more if you like it sweet and not so tangy)
- Melt butter in small saucepan
- Take off heat and mix in flour to form a paste
- Return to medium heat and add remaining ingredients and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved and curd thickens
- Take off heat and let sit for a minute before you use
EXTRA VEGAN BAKING TIPS
So here is this really boring part where I’m supposed to write my entire life story up until the moment I made this lemon curd like it was a miracle from a far away land….. vomit…. however my wonderful business partner has said it’s a requirement for SEO for my blog so more people find my recipes and bake vegan stuff. Which is why I started this whole thing in the first place SO instead I’m going to add all my tips from the YouTube episode so it’s not super boring….
TIPS FOR MAKING VEGAN LEMON CURD
1: For the flour you can either use chickpea flour or corn flour or even arrowroot powder — just note that some chickpea flours are a little grainy and you won’t get that smooth texture. I do find that chickpea flour has a better flavour than corn flour
2: You can use lemonade lemons to give a much sweeter curd if you can get your hands on some
3: If you like a very sweet lemon curd add extra sugar until you reach your desired flavour
4: For a creamier texture you can add 1/3 cup of coconut cream to the mixture before you heat it up.