Gluten-free vegan lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling and cream cheese buttercream frosting.JUMP TO RECIPE!
This Halloween make it bloody, bloody delicious! These super fun vegan gluten-free cupcakes are so easy to bake and the recipe is divided into easy to follow sections. The flavour profile of these vegan cupcakes is divine. What’s not to love? This gluten-free vegan cupcake recipe consists of:
- Gluten Free Lemon Cupcake
- Tart Raspberry Filling and Blood Drip
- Cream Cheese Vanilla Buttercream
- Fondant Knife
And it’s all vegan! What’s not to love?
Vegan + Gluten Free Killer Cupcakes with a Bloody Surprise
Bloody Knife – it’s recommended to make these 1st or the night before
- Small amount of vegan grey fondant
- Small amount of vegan black fondant
- Small flat vegan candy circles I get these from Fancy Sprinkles – optional
- CMC powder
- Corn flour for dusting
Gluten-Free Lemon Cupcakes
- 135 g white rice flour
- 45 g almond flour
- 45 g potato starch
- 105 g white sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (just under 1/2 tsp)
- 200 g soy milk
- 40 g lemon juice
- 100 g vegetable oil not coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1-2 tsp lemon essence
Raspberry Bloody Filling
- 200 g raspberries fresh or frozen
- 120 g white sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 drops vegan red food colouring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 45 g vegetable shortening at room temp I use high ratio shortening
- 60 g vegan butter or margarine at room temp
- 120 g Angel Food Cream Cheese at room temp This is the best brand of cream cheese for this recipe Angel Food
- 125 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or extract or essence
- ¼ tsp lemon essence
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp of the bloody raspberry filling
- 1½ tsp glucose syrup
- 2 drops vegan red food colouring
Method for the Bloody Knives
- Flour a clean surface with a small amount of cornflour.
- Add a sprinkle of CMC powder to your fondants and massage thoroughly.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out your grey and black fondants to around 1 mm thickness.
- Using a paring knife, cut out 12 small rectangles that look like the blade of a butcher’s knife.
- Using a paring knife, cut out 12 long strips that look like the handle of a butcher’s Knife.
- Join the handles to the blades. You can glue them by wetting the join with the tiniest amount of water or mix together some CMC powder with water to make some glue.
- Push the white circles into the top left corner of the knives. This step is optional.
- Allow these to harden for at least a few hours or overnight.
Method for Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 200C/392F and line 2 cupcake trays with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all dry ingredients together and mix with a whisk to combine. Make a well in the middle of your flour.
- In a large jug, mix all wet ingredients together.
- Pour liquid into a flour bowl and beat together with a hand mixer until just combined on a low speed.
- Use an ice cream scooper to evenly distribute batter into your cupcake trays. You should only fill them ¾ of the way up. This is around one large ice-cream scoop.
- Turn your oven down to 185C/365F and bake on the top rack of your oven for 15 – 17 minutes. The tops should bounce back when you touch them, this is when you should take them out of the oven.
- Allow to completely cool down before decorating.
Method for Bloody Filling
- Add all ingredients except for cornflour to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Mix cornflour with a few tbsp of cold water in a separate bowl.
- Gently simmer on a lower heat for 5-10 mins until it’s lost about 1/3 of its original liquid, then vigorously stir through cornflour paste until it thickens.
- Once the filling has thickened, remove from heat and pour into a strainer over a large bowl. Push it through so the seeds are all that’s left in the strainer.
- Place the bowl into the fridge or freezer to cool down the filling. It needs to be cold before you can use it otherwise it’s going to melt your buttercream.
Method for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sieve your icing sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the shortening in a heat proof bowl and warm in the microwave until it is soft to touch – try 10 seconds.
- Using a standard mixer with a paddle attachment beat shortening for 5 minutes or until it’s super smooth with no lumps.
- Place the butter in a heat proof bowl and warm in the microwave until it is soft to touch – try 10 seconds.
- Add butter and beat on low for 5 minutes until incorporated without lumps and is light.
- Place the cream cheese in a heatproof bowl and warm in the microwave until it is soft to touch – try 10 seconds.
- Beat cream cheese separately for a few minutes to soften and break up. Add to butter mixture and beat on low for 10 minutes until completely smooth.
- Slowly add icing sugar on lowest speed to begin to incorporate. Once completely mixed, add vanilla, lemon and salt.
- You can now use it to decorate cakes or cupcakes. If you would like a firmer mixture leave in the fridge to firm up.
Method for Bloody Drip
- Place glucose syrup in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to make it really runny.
- In a small bowl mix all ingredients together. Allow to cool down a little as you don’t want it to melt the buttercream. Once it starts to kinda clot that’s when you can use it.
Method for Assembling Cupcakes
- Using an apple corer, remove the centre of the cupcake ¾ of the way down.
- Fill with bloody filling.
- Using a piping bag with a 2D star nozzle, pipe buttercream onto the top of each cupcake.
- Using a small spoon, spoon some of the blood onto the very top of the cupcake and let it drizzle down.
- Push a knife into the centre of the blood.