I promise this is truly my BEST cake recipe ever. This gluten-free vegan vanilla cake will not fail you. It’s a no-fail, no sink, no weird flavours, one bowl, gluten-free vegan vanilla cake that is insanely easy to bake. It tastes like a normal vanilla cake. You won’t be able to tell the difference. It’s also a go-to recipe if you’re looking for a Gluten-free vegan sponge cake as it’s really light in texture.
Gluten-free baking can sometimes be a baker’s worst nightmare. We all remember back in the day when gluten-free meant we were about to embark on eating something with the texture and taste of a brick covered in a layer of cinnamon dust – early gluten-free bread gave me nightmares. Thankfully, that good old G-F has come along way and we now have the knowledge and power to create godlike goodness of everyone to enjoy. Here are my top tips to get you started.
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN BAKING TIPS
- Use extra vanilla when baking. It will help balance out those nutty flavours that appear in gluten-free baking.
- The smaller the better. I always recommend making cakes no larger than 6 to 7 inches or smaller. I find that the smaller the cake, the better the bake.
- Don’t be afraid to under-bake your cake slightly. You want to retain extra moisture in your cake as GF cakes can be a little dry. I usually bake it for 5 minutes less and test it with a skewer. If the skewer still has a few crumbs and a tiny bit of moisture on it, it’s ready to come out of the oven.
- Use 25 percent more raising agents (baking soda or baking powder) if you’re converting a recipe to gluten free.
- Do worry about over-mixing your batter even though there is no gluten to overdevelop. It still affects the outcome of your cake. Just mix until just combined.
- If you’re finding your GF cake is coming out dry, try using a vegetable shortening as your main fat source, this can add extra moisture.
- If you’re converting a recipe to gluten free, experiment with adjusting the temperature of your oven 10C/50F lower.
You can bake this cake along with me and I also show you how to decorate this cake in a naked cake style.
Never Fail Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Cake
- 1 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour is even better)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 7 1/2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Grease and line three 6-inch cake tins with vegetable oil and baking paper and then dust with a tiny amount of gluten-free flour to coat the cake tin.
- Make your flaxseed egg by mixing flaxseed and water together and set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve flours, starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together and give it a quick whisk to combine ingredients.
- In a large jug, mix vinegar with soy milk until it becomes thick. Then add oil and vanilla and mix together. Add thickened flax egg and stir.
- Pour liquid into flour bowl and gently fold ingredients together with a whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into each cake tin making sure they both have the same amount of batter and tap on the bench to release air bubbles.
- Place tins into the middle of your oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out almost clean.
- Allow to sit in the cake tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack. Run a knife around the outside of the cake before flipping it onto your cooling rack.
- Let it completely cool down and ice with your favourite vegan buttercream.
If you’re after more gluten recipes go here go here
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 16,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!