I promise this is truly my BEST cake recipe ever. This gluten-free vegan vanilla cake will not fail you. It’s a no-fail, no sink, no weird flavours, one bowl, gluten-free vegan vanilla cake that is insanely easy to bake. It tastes like a normal vanilla cake. You won’t be able to tell the difference. It’s also a go-to recipe if you’re looking for a Gluten-free vegan sponge cake as it’s really light in texture.
Gluten-free baking can sometimes be a baker’s worst nightmare. We all remember back in the day when gluten-free meant we were about to embark on eating something with the texture and taste of a brick covered in a layer of cinnamon dust – early gluten-free bread gave me nightmares. Thankfully, that good old G-F has come along way and we now have the knowledge and power to create godlike goodness of everyone to enjoy. Here are my top tips to get you started.
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN BAKING TIPS
- Use extra vanilla when baking. It will help balance out those nutty flavours that appear in gluten-free baking.
- The smaller the better. I always recommend making cakes no larger than 6 to 7 inches or smaller. I find that the smaller the cake, the better the bake.
- Don’t be afraid to under-bake your cake slightly. You want to retain extra moisture in your cake as GF cakes can be a little dry. I usually bake it for 5 minutes less and test it with a skewer. If the skewer still has a few crumbs and a tiny bit of moisture on it, it’s ready to come out of the oven.
- Use 25 percent more raising agents (baking soda or baking powder) if you’re converting a recipe to gluten free.
- Do worry about over-mixing your batter even though there is no gluten to overdevelop. It still affects the outcome of your cake. Just mix until just combined.
- If you’re finding your GF cake is coming out dry, try using a vegetable shortening as your main fat source, this can add extra moisture.
- If you’re converting a recipe to gluten free, experiment with adjusting the temperature of your oven 10C/50F lower.
You can bake this cake along with me and I also show you how to decorate this cake in a naked cake style.
If you’re after more gluten recipes go here go here
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 25,000 keen bakers on Facebook.