I promise this is truly my BEST cake recipe ever. This gluten-free vegan vanilla cake will not fail you. It’s a no-fail, no sink, no weird flavours, one bowl, gluten-free vegan vanilla cake that is insanely easy to bake. It tastes like a normal vanilla cake. You won’t be able to tell the difference. It’s also a go-to recipe if you’re looking for a Gluten-free vegan sponge cake as it’s really light in texture.
Gluten-free baking can sometimes be a baker’s worst nightmare. We all remember back in the day when gluten-free meant we were about to embark on eating something with the texture and taste of a brick covered in a layer of cinnamon dust – early gluten-free bread gave me nightmares. Thankfully, that good old G-F has come along way and we now have the knowledge and power to create godlike goodness of everyone to enjoy. Here are my top tips to get you started.
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN BAKING TIPS
- Use extra vanilla when baking. It will help balance out those nutty flavours that appear in gluten-free baking.
- The smaller the better. I always recommend making cakes no larger than 6 to 7 inches or smaller. I find that the smaller the cake, the better the bake.
- Don’t be afraid to under-bake your cake slightly. You want to retain extra moisture in your cake as GF cakes can be a little dry. I usually bake it for 5 minutes less and test it with a skewer. If the skewer still has a few crumbs and a tiny bit of moisture on it, it’s ready to come out of the oven.
- Use 25 percent more raising agents (baking soda or baking powder) if you’re converting a recipe to gluten free.
- Do worry about over-mixing your batter even though there is no gluten to overdevelop. It still affects the outcome of your cake. Just mix until just combined.
- If you’re finding your GF cake is coming out dry, try using a vegetable shortening as your main fat source, this can add extra moisture.
- If you’re converting a recipe to gluten free, experiment with adjusting the temperature of your oven 10C/50F lower.
You can bake this cake along with me and I also show you how to decorate this cake in a naked cake style.
Never Fail Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Cake
- 1 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour is even better)
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 7 1/2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Grease and line three 6-inch cake tins with vegetable oil and baking paper and then dust with a tiny amount of gluten-free flour to coat the cake tin.
- Make your flaxseed egg by mixing flaxseed and water together and set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve flours, starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together and give it a quick whisk to combine ingredients.
- In a large jug, mix vinegar with soy milk until it becomes thick. Then add oil and vanilla and mix together. Add thickened flax egg and stir.
- Pour liquid into flour bowl and gently fold ingredients together with a whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into each cake tin making sure they both have the same amount of batter and tap on the bench to release air bubbles.
- Place tins into the middle of your oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out almost clean.
- Allow to sit in the cake tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack. Run a knife around the outside of the cake before flipping it onto your cooling rack.
- Let it completely cool down and ice with your favourite vegan buttercream.
If you’re after more gluten recipes go here go here
Learn more about gluten-free vegan baking by joining my online Gluten-free 101 Workshop, available to watch now.
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 21,000 keen bakers on Facebook.