This classic cake is buttery with the aroma of vanilla and presents a firm cake crumb.
125 ml (½ cup) plain soy milk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
125 ml (½ cup) water, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
½ teaspoon vegan butter flavouring (optional)
250 g (1 cup) vegan butter or margarine, at room temperature
170 g (¾ cup) caster sugar
350 g (2 ⅓) plain all purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon xanthan gum (see substitutes list if you don’t have this)
- Preheat your convection oven to 165°C (330°F) and line a 1 x 8in / 20.32cm cake tin with baking paper, grease with oil and dust with flour.
- In a small jug mix soy milk with vinegar to thicken, then add water, vanilla and butter flavouring. Mix together until completely combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and creamy with no lumps.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda salt and xanthan gum in a small mixing bowl.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix to the creamed butter and mix very slowly on lowest speed, then add ⅓ of the liquid and mix on the lowest speed. Repeat until all ingredients are just combined. It will be a very thick batter. Don’t over mix.
- Pause the mixer and scrape down sides with a rubber spatula, then mix on a low speed for a few seconds.
- Pour into your cake tin and tap the tin firmly a few times on the bench to release air bubbles.
- Place on the middle rack in the center of your oven and bake for 55 – 58 mins, check with a skewer through the centre, if it comes out clean it’s ready.
- Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then flip on a cake rake and allow to completely cool before decorating with your desired frosting.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 58
- Category: Dessert
- Method: creaming
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vanilla, cake, vegan