Now this vegan shortbread cookies are the bomb! You only need four ingredients to bake them and it’s a very simple recipe to follow. The shortbread tastes exactly the same as non-vegan shortbread cookies, it’s a brilliant cookie recipe and you can easily add variations such as rosewater or vegan melted chocolate.
It’s a great vegan cookie recipe if you’re just starting out and wanting to learn how to bake vegan. These shortbread cookies can be cut into any shape and decorated with chocolate or royal icing. These shortbread cookies keep for a few weeks in an airtight container and can be frozen for a few months.
Watch my youtube video for more shortbread tips and tricks for this recipe.
Easy Vegan Shortbread Cookies using 4 Ingredients
- 250 grams vegan butter or margarine 1 cup at room temp
- 80 grams icing or powdered sugar a little more than 1/2 cup
- 300 grams plain all purpose flour 2 1/3 cups + 1 tbs / plus extra
- 1 tsp almond extract / flavouring
- Pre-heat your oven to 175C / 350F and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a mix master with a paddle attachment, beat butter on low to soften it for minute. Then add sifted powdered sugar and cream together for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrap down the sides half way through.
- Add almond extract and beat on low for 30 seconds.
- Add sifted flour and beat on low. The mixture will start to come together as crumbs and then will form a soft delicate dough. If needed, add 1-2 tbs of water if it's not coming together.
- Using your hands bring dough together into a ball. If it's super sticky and sticking to your fingers (see my video example) add a little extra flour. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to a few hours to help it firm up. I even leave mine over night sometimes.
- Roll dough out on bench about 5 mms or 1/2 cm thick and cut with cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on tray and bake for 23-25 minutes on the top rack of your oven. Check them at the 20 min mark. They will remain pale but go slightly brown on the bottom and around the edges.
Want advice and more recipe ideas? Join our Facebook group with 16,000+ Vegan Bakers!
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join our monthly bake-offs to win prizes! This is the most active vegan baking group on facebook!