This delicious vegan raspberry pie recipe was featured on Lifestyle Australia. It’s incredibly simple to make and the shortcrust pastry is crumbly and buttery, all the things we love about vegan baking. You can play around with the filling and add fresh grated ginger, blueberries, blackberries or even some mint leaves to garnish.
Here are some quick tips on how to achieve that perfect vegan pastry.
1. Make sure everything is super cold. All your utensils should be put into the freezer for 30 mins beforehand. Once you have lined your pie tin put the pastry back into the fridge for 30 mins to chill. This will help stop shrinkage.
2. When adding the filling, make sure it has cooled right down (even chilled) this will stop your pastry from going soggy on the bottom
3. Be prepared for shrinkage with your pastry. Make it a little larger than what you’re anticipating.
Vegan Raspberry Pie
- 300 grams all-purpose plain flour
- 150 grams vegetable shortening cubed
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 mls ice water must be super cold
- 400 grams frozen raspberries
- 100 mls lemon juice
- 100 grams caster sugar more if you like it extra sweet
- 100 ml water
- 1 tbs vegan butter or margarine
- 3 tbs cornstarch/cornflour mixed with 3-4 tbs water
To Make The Pie Crust
- Grease a rectangle tart pan with vegetable oil and preheat your oven to 230C/446F
- Have all crust ingredients in the fridge cold including your mixing bowl
- Using a food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt together to combine, then add shortening and pulse together until very crumbly and fine
- Pour in cold water and pulse together until it starts to form a dough
- Empty pastry into your chilled glass bowl and using your hands knead together into a smooth dough ball
- Tip dough onto a floured surface and roll out to 5cm thick in a long rectangle shape that’s longer than your tart pan
- Add to your greased pie tin, trim the edges and pierce the bottom of the pastry with a fork multiple times
- Roll remaining dough into a ball and roll out to 5cm thick and cut out small heart shapes with a cookie cutter and place on a separate greased tray
- Blind bake your tart without filling and extra shapes, bake for 20 minutes, then remove beads and bake for 5-10 more minutes until the crust is lightly browned
- Remove from oven and fill with raspberry filling, pushing hearts into the tart and leave to set for 10 minutes. Serve with vegan ice-cream
To Make The Filling
- Add all ingredients except for cornflour mix to a large pot and bring to a simmer
- Gently simmer on a lower heat for 5-10 mins until it’s lost about 1/3 of its original liquid, then vigorously stir through cornflour until it thickens
- Once the filling has thickened, remove from heat and pour into your baked tart crust