We all love a good pie. I whipped up this vegan pie crust pastry recipe because it’s quicker then my shortcrust pastry and a little flakier in texture. It’s a very easy vegan recipe and takes about 10 mins to make and get into the oven for baking. You can make this pastry ahead of time and freeze it or store it in the fridge for later pie making. Check you my short vegan baking video below for all my tips and tricks for this recipe.
Easy Vegan Pie Crust Pastry
- 300 g plain all purpose flour plus extra
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 g vegan vegetable shortening cubed
- 125 mls ice cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pre-heat your oven to 230C/450F
- Have all ingredients in the fridge cold including your mixing bowl
- Using a food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt together to combined, then add shortening and pulse together until very crumbly and fine
- Pour in cold water and vanilla and pulse together until it starts to form a dough
- Empty pastry into your chilled glass bowl and using your hands kneed together into a smooth dough ball
- Tip dough onto a floured surface and roll out to 5cm thick, making sure it's a completely even thickness
- Add to your greased pie tin, trim the edges and pierce the bottom of the pastry with a fork or a knife
- If you're baking the crust without filling, bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 205C/400F. Then bake for 2-5 more minutes until the crust is lightly browned.
To make a simple vegan ganache chocolate pie go HERE for the recipe or watch the video below. I would recommend using a ratio of 1:1 for a slightly firm filling. If you want it really stiff use 0.8:1 ratio of coconut cream to chocolate.