Fail safe creamy easy vegan meringue buttercream recipe
250 g (1 cup) vegan butter
100 g (½ cup plus 1 tablespoon) high-ratio vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons white vinegar
95 ml (⅓ cup + 3 teaspoons) aquafaba (canned chickpea liquid)
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ tablespoon potato starch (sub with tapioca flour)
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
125 g (1 cup) powdered or confection’s sugar
1 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
Pinch of sea salt
- Add the butter and shortening to the bowl of a standard mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat together on a medium speed until light and fluffy. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl and set aside. Completely clean your mixing bowl, making sure there is no residual fat, as that would prevent your meringue from whipping properly. Rinse your bowl and whisk attachment with the vinegar for best results.
- Add the aquafaba, cream of tartar, potato starch, and xanthan gum and beat on medium-high speed for 5 to 10 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Once stiff peaks form, whip for another 3 minutes.
- Continue to whip on medium speed while adding the icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Only add more once the previous measure has been thoroughly beaten into the mixture.
- Add butter and shortening mix, 1 tablespoon at a time, counting 5 seconds between each dollop. If you buttercream curdles whilst adding butter, don’t stress, continue to whip and it will come back together. Be patient, I promise it will come back together.
- Add the vanilla and salt, and beat on high speed for a few seconds. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes if you need it to be firmer before using to decorate.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Category: Frosting
- Method: Beating
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Easy Vegan Meringue Buttercream