The most satisfying vegan baked custard tart
Vegan Custard Filling
- 80 g vegan butter
- 100 g cane sugar or raw sugar
- 500 ml plant based cream (you can use coconut cream)
- 300 g silken tofu
- 35 g vegan custard powder (a lot of brands are vegan so just check ingredients and Gretchen Price has a recipe for it here too)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon essence
- 2 – 3 drops vegan food colouring or a pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of nutmeg
Vegan Pie Crust
- Prepare your vegan pie crust first. Pre-heat your conventional oven to 200C/400F and blind bake your pie crust for 10 minutes. See instructions on my pie crust recipe page.
- Melt butter in a small heatproof bowl, add sugar and stir.
- Add butter mix and all remaining custard filling ingredients (except nutmeg) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your blind baked pie shell, filling to the top of the shell. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until your pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to completely cool and set. The custard will still be runny when you remove it from the oven so be careful.
- Once set, cut and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Pie Making
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: vegan baked custard tart