Vegan vanilla custard is a must with any apple pie, chocolate cake or ice-cream. Just because we’re vegan doesn’t mean we can’t have epic custard to satisfy all our vegan dessert desires. I assure you, it tastes exactly the same and this vegan recipe takes about 5 minutes to whip up using normal everyday ingredients. Thank me later…
The trick I learned when wanting to make a vegan custard, sauce or juice thick is to create a flour-based paste and add it to your liquid. This will thicken any sauce or custard. Once heated the vegan custard will thicken. You can add more cornstarch to your recipe if you’re wanting it to be thicker.
This vegan custard recipe pairs really well with our latest flourless chocolate cake.
Easy Thick Vegan Vanilla Custard
- 2 cups soy milk 500 mls
- 60 grams white sugar approximately 4 tbs
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup corn flour/corn starch
- 1/4 cup water 62.5 ml
- pinch turmeric or vegan yellow food colouring
- Add soy milk, vanilla, and salt and sugar to a small saucepan
- Mix together cornflour/corn starch and water in a separate bowl to form a paste
- Add to saucepan and place on a medium heat on your stovetop
- Gently bring to a boil whilst continuously stirring with a whisk until it thickens then take off heat
- To make it yellow either add a tiny pinch of turmeric or vegan yellow food colouring
Learn more about gluten-free vegan baking by joining my online Gluten-free 101 Workshop, available to watch now.
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 21,000 keen bakers on Facebook.