This cake is a MIRACLE! Only because I baked it quite a few times and it failed and failed and failed. I was about to give up and then I added extra coconut cream and changed the vegan butter to vegetable oil. NOW it’s a glorious, tender, extremely delicious cake and it’s friggin vegan. This is the cake I would make for The Queen if she ever popped over for a nibble… actually probably not as I would have eaten it all before she arrived. She can get her own cake.Print
Coconut Bundt Cake
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 20 small slices 1x
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 100 g 00 plain pastry flour
- 50 g coconut flour
- 135 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 240 ml soy milk + 2 tbs white vinegar (mixed together to ‘activate’ the milk)
- 240 ml vegetable oil
- 440 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp coconut flavouring
- 1 tbs vanilla bean paste
THE DRIP ICING
- 100 g vegan white chocolate
- 70 g coconut cream
- vegan pink food colouring
- 60 mls water
- 75 g caster sugar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160C/320F, grease and flour an 10IN bundt cake tin. Set your oven rack in the middle position. Make sure to let your oven heat up to the exact temp.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Mix them together well.
- In another small bowl mix milk/vinegar, vanilla, coconut cream, oil, coconut flavour until well combined.
- Using a whisk slowly stir the liquid into the flour until just combined. Don’t worry if it’s a little lumpy as long as it’s all the same consistency.
- Pour mixture into tin to 3/4 full. Gently tap on the bench to release any air bubbles. Depending on the size of your tin you may have a little batter left over. Don’t overfill because it needs to rise.
- Bake in oven for 70-80 mins until a skewer comes out clean when poked into the deepest part of the cake.
- Allow to cool for 20 mins before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Tip: I use a silicone bundt cake tin as it releases the cake easier. If you use this make sure to place it on a tray in the oven so it’s on a flat surface.
- TO MAKE SYRUP
Mix sugar, water and lemon juice together in a small pot. Bring to boil and remove from stove.
- Brush over cooled cake with a pastry brush.
- TO MAKE GLAZE ICING
Place almost all chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water
- Stir constantly until melted, making sure not to heat chocolate above 31C-32C / 88F-90F
- Take off heat and stir in extra chocolate until melted then stir in room temp coconut cream (if it’s cold it will set the drip)
- Add to piping bag (or however you like to drip your icing) and drip over the top of your cake
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Birthday, Cake, High Tea, Summer
Keywords: coconut, dairy free, egg free, vegan, vegan baking, vegan cake, video
DID YOU MAKE THIS PRETTY CAKE FOR YOUR BOSS CAUSE THEY KEEP MAKING INAPPROPRIATE JOKES ABOUT YOUR VEGAN LIFESTYLE AND YOU STARTED MAKING PLANS TO DESTROY THEM AND THEN YOU FELT GUILTY? That’s okay! Tag @veganbakesbysarakidd on Instagram and hashtag it #veganbakesbysarakidd and we can discuss positive steps forward. Cake is the better option.
I don’t own an 8 inch Bundt pan. Can this cake be made as cupcakes? Recipe looks awesome and I’m so impressed that you made it so many times to perfect it. What do you do with your failures?
Sara Kidd says
Hey Ilene, you could use a circular ring tin if you have one. I don’t know if they would work for cupcakes but if you try it make sure to heat your oven at 180C/360F. I live with a very big extended family so they eat any failures otherwise I take them to the gym and give them to reception. (haha) They love/hate me.
Christine Baker says
You may have been asked this before but what is the difference between pastry flour and all purpose flour. Maybe throw in some brand names as I live in Aus. Loving the sound of this recipe.
Sara Kidd says
Pastry flour is a fine-textured soft flour with a low protein content, plain flour has a higher protein content. You can buy this pastry flour from Woolworth: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/262660/lighthouse-biscuit-pastry-cake-plain-flour xoxox