This vegan cherry almond crumb cake is perfect for picnics and afternoon tea. You can use either fresh pitted cherries or frozen cherries. The vegan vanilla cake pairs so well with the crumble on top and the almonds add extra texture and flavour. It’s such a yummy vegan cake recipe that everyone can enjoy. If you can’t make the drip icing you can simple drizzle melted chocolate over the top for an easier bake.
Cherry Almond Crumb Cake
- 180 g plain flour
- 20 g corn flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g vegan butter cubed at room temp
- 60 g veggie shortening at room temp
- 120 g powdered sugar / icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp lemon flavouring
- 300 ml soy milk at room temp
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 100 g canned or fresh pitted cherries drained
- 70 g vegan butter melted but cooled
- 120 g plain flour
- 70 g brown sugar
- 25 g vegan bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp high quality vanilla bean paste
- 70 g sliced almonds
- 100 g vegan white chocolate
- 70 g coconut cream
- 20 g cacao butter (optional but helps it set harder)
- vegan pink food colouring
MAKE CRUMB FIRST
- Mix together cooled melted butter with sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, crumbs and salt until it comes together loosely and becomes crumbly for a topping. Put aside.
TO MAKE CAKE
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/320F and grease 8IN cake tin and line with baking paper. Place a heatproof bowl of water at the base of the oven or line the cake with a baking strip.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, on a low-speed beat butter and shortening together until combined, add sieved sugar, vanilla, lemon and beat until light and fluffy. Don’t overbeat.
- In a large bowl sieve remaining dry ingredients together, mix well with a whisk and set aside.
- In another bowl mix milk and vinegar together until milk thickens slightly.
- Dividing flour and milk into thirds, slowly add flour then milk to butter in thirds, whilst beating on low speed until just combined, don't over mix.
- Pour mixture into your cake tin, spread evenly and gently tap on the bench to release any air bubbles.
- Place cherries on top of batter all over the cake, don’t push down.
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly all over the cake.
- Make sure your oven has reached 160C/320F and place your cake into the middle row for 27- 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. You will see that the cake has started to come away from the sides and is firm.
- Leave to cool down and then gently remove from the cake tin.
TO MAKE DRIP ICING
- Make drip icing go here: https://bit.ly/2C832g4 Drip around the edge for the cake, sprinkle almonds over the top and decorate however you desire. You can also use melted chocolate and drizzle over the top.
DID YOU MAKE THIS CAKE FOR YOUR FAMILY DINNER BUT ENDED UP EATING IT AS A MIDNIGHT SNACK BECAUSE SOCIAL SITUATIONS GIVE YOU ANXIETY? ME TOO! Tag @veganbakesbysarakidd on Instagram and hashtag it #veganbakesbysarakidd and maybe we can just talk to each other before our midnight binge.