Vegan caramel sauce is life. It’s the best thing on any baked goods like cakes, puddings, desserts, on ice-cream, cookies, on toast and all over my face. Seriously, I know you understand what I am saying. The amazing recipe has all the wonderful variations you’re wanting to bake such as salted caramel sauce, creamy caramel sauce and a spicy version. So let’s get baking, baby!
Best Ever Vegan Caramel Sauce with Variations
- 50 grams pitted dates soaked overnight
- 1/2 ltr coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 400 grams white sugar
- 120 ml water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 tbs corn flour (or corn starch if US) mixed with 3 tbs water
- Blend coconut milk, cinnamon, dates, salt and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, white vinegar in saucepan.
- On a high heat bring to the boil without stirring. Watch the pot the whole time because it can suddenly go brown and burn.
- Once the sugar suddenly turns golden, take off the heat and allow to sit for a minute until the bubbles die down.
- Very slowly stir in coconut milk mix (it's going to bubble so be EXTRA careful) and then return back to your stove top on a medium high heat.
- Stir in the corn starch/corn flour paste until completely combined and bring to a boil whilst viciously stirring - don't let it burn or stick to the bottom. Take off heat once it starts to thicken.
- Let cool and then strain if you want to make sure your sauce is 100% smooth.
- See recipe notes for variations and watch the video demo for more tips.
SALTED CARAMEL VERSION: Start by adding 1/4 tsp more sea salt until you're happy with the 'saltness' of the sauce
SPICPY CARAMEL VERSION: Add more spices like nutmeg and a chai spice mix
For a simpler version of this recipe go here: