My cakes were constantly coming out of the oven unevenly baked. It happened to me whenever I was baking in a gas oven – which is virtually all of the time. So, to combat this here are all my tips and tricks that I learnt to stop it from happening.
- Add a heat proof bowl to the bottom of your oven filled with water. The steam from the bowl helps the heat to circulate more evenly around the oven, creating a more even bake.
- Where possible use baking strips. Baking strips (or cake strips) provide insulation around the outside of the entire cake pan, helping the cake bake evenly on all sides. It also helps to create a flatter cake with fewer cracks on the top. Here is how I make my own https://youtu.be/gdg_FIZYS18
- Rotate your cakes 90 degrees 2/3 of the way through to help even each side. If it’s cookies or smaller bakes, you can rotate half way through.
- Understand where your oven’s hot and cold spots are so you can choose a better placement for your bake. A super simple way to do this is arrange slices of bread on a rack and see where the toast is darker and lighter to determined your hot and cold spots.
- Use 2 oven thermometers at either side of your oven. This allows you to know if your oven has completely pre-heated to the correct temperature and the best placement for your bakes.
Discover recipe ideas, get advice and join in on vegan baking conversations with 24,000 keen bakers on Facebook.